During a Meeting of Railroad Representatives Held at The General Electric Erie Works on December 1, 1925
a Test Was Conducted Where The AGEIR 100 Ton 600 horsepower Locomotive Built For
The Long Island Rail Road as Their #401 Hauled a Trailing Load of More Than 1200 Tons.

Long Island Rail Road #401 was the second AGEIR oil-electric Box Cab design locomotive completed. It was a 100 ton model of 600 horsepower and was unique in several respects. It was the first North American Diesel-electric locomotive to use two Diesel engines and was the only 100 ton AGEIR model built with this car body design. ALCO shipped the running gear and superstructure for Order # S1494 to the GE Erie Works on March 16, 1925 where construction began with the Diesel engines supplied by Ingersoll-Rand. Both ALCO Builders #66085 and General Electric Builders #9740 were assigned to this unit. Long Island #401 was completed and put on the East Erie Test Track During November 1925...


General Interior Layout of the 100 Ton Class B-B-200/200-0-4GE69C-600 Volt Oil-Electric Locomotive

Construction of this 100 ton unit was very much along the same lines as the early 60 ton locomotives only it was longer and used two of the 300 horsepower Ingersoll-Rand Diesel plants to achieve its 600 horsepower rating. These engines were centrally located with one having the generator facing the #1 end and the other facing the #2 end... with a gangway between them. Both the 60 and 100 ton locomotives used 7 foot-2 inch wheelbase trucks, but those for the heavier unit were of a more beefed up construction and used GE-69-C traction motors rated at 200 horsepower each. These drove 15 tooth pinions with 70 tooth gears (later railroad records indicate a 70:16 gear ratio). The 60 ton units used model HM-840 traction motors. In a Speed/Tractive Effort test conducted on November 21, 1925 GE indicates 38 inch diameter wheels, but later reports indicate 36 inch diameter wheels while in service. Top speed was rated at 30 miles per hour and tractive effort at 10 mph was rated at 15,5000 lbs. The General Electric method of measuring total length was from inside the knuckle couplers so the construction measurement of 48 feet-2 inches will vary slightly within subsequent records. It is thought that this locomotive measured 46 feet-4 inches over the ends and 43 feet-0 inches over the body... and the cab width was 10 feet-0 inches...


Long Island Rail Road #401 Leaving Erie Pennsylvania on December 15, 1925 for a Run to Greenville New Jersey

At 7:15 AM on December 15, 1925 Long Island #401 left the Erie Enginehouse to begin its publicized "Main Line Run" to Greenville New Jersey. With its Running Extra white flags catching the breeze it pulled a consist which included 1 passenger coach, 5 box cars and a caboose. Total weight including the locomotive was 377 tons. The route was over the Pennsylvania Railroad via Williamsport, Harrisburg, and Trenton Junction New Jersey with a completed mileage of 537. About eight miles of 1.6% grade just outside of Erie was the steepest encountered and the combined fuel and lubricating oil cost was a meager $26.15... The trip was completed in 40 hours and 24 minutes of which 28 hours and 45 minutes was actual running time and the remainder was consumed by "standing clear" for superior trains and photo opportunities. As a locomotive designed for switching service the average of 18.7 miles per hour speed maintained was acceptable and the train pulled into the Pennsylvania RR Freight Terminal of Greenville New Jersey at 11:38 PM on December 16, 1925...

Most accounts of the mid December publicity trip of #401 indicate that it was also conducted to have this locomotive delivered under its own power to the Long Island Rail Road facilities, but the Ingersoll-Rand records clearly state that #401 was not "placed in operation" until February 1926 at the Bushwick Terminal in Brooklyn New York. It is not clear at this time where #401 was for at least six weeks prior to entering service. One can speculate that as the first production unit of its type there might have been a few kinks that required attention, but to date no record has surfaced providing an explanation. In either event #401 was returned to the General Electric Erie Works for "rebuilding" in September 1927. The work was completed and the locomotive returned to the Long Island RR during December 1927 where it was in service until June 7, 1951 when sold to Luria Brothers who scrapped it by the end of the same month...

When Long Island Rail Road #401 was placed into service it completed the initial first production run of Diesel-electric locomotives in North America. Three 60 ton 300 horsepower units under ALCO Order # S1484 and one 100 ton unit under ALCO Order #S1494. ..



The author of this AGEIR study was John Campbell, who developed the web pages, and who died in 2005. These pages are dedicated to his memory and to his tireless research. Comments and questions on this AGEIR material should be directed to the C&NWHS, which has assumed the responsibility for this information.