Modeling - Articles
- U P Railroad Museum offers Passenger Train Excursion,Aug. 13, 2017 (PDF) - Union Pacific Railroad Museum offers Passenger Train Excursion
on Historic Mainline Between Omaha and Columbus, Nebraska
- Take Me Out to the Ball Game UP Style (PDF) - Darrell Wendt - This year's UP Home Plate Special, for the 2017 NCAA Men's College World Series
features two ex-C&NW coaches in the 20 car consist (Lake Bluff and Lake Forest).
- Ex-C&NW C40-8 on BNSF by Darrell D. Wendt (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Photos of Ex-C&NW C40-8 on BNSF, taken in May 2017.
- Removing the M&StL from Marshalltown North to Steamboat Rock (PDF) - Scot Mason - Short picture article form 2013 of the M&StL from Marshalltown North to Steamboat Rock, by Scot Mason
- Removing the IC & CNW crossing in Council Bluffs (PDF) - Darrell Wendt - January 12th, 2012 a Canadian National maintenance crew complete the removal process of the former C&NW/IC diamond, near 2nd Avenue and 13th Street in Council Bluffs, Iowa. by Darrell Wendt
- Building fund form (PDF)
- 2017 CNWHS PS2 covered hopper model (PDF) - Kurt Hayek
- Building Fund Announcement (PDF)
- CONDUCTOR REX C BEACH obituary (PDF)
- Union Pacific's annual (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Union Pacific's annual "Home Plate Special" made a reverse movement
from Council Bluffs to Omaha on the morning of 6/15/2016.
- St. James, Minnesota Railroad Days, June 23rd – 26th, 2016 (PDF) - Mike Lenzen - The St. James Railroad Depot Museum is open once a year look for the 2017 days
- UP Director's Special (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - A UP director's special arrived in Omaha during midday on 6/09/2016 with a 7-car lash-up and a pair of clean motors. Two ex-C&NW cars were in the consist, sleeper Lake Forest", and bringing up the rear was the theater car "Fox River". The special passed by the Amtrak passenger platform and was highlighted by the former Union Station. (now Durham Museum).Darrell D. Wendt
- From the Deck of President Mike Lenzen (PDF) - Mike Lenzen - A request for modeling articles for North Western lines
- History of the Omaha area by Darrell Wendt 5/6/2016 (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - History of the Omaha area by Darrell Wendt 5/6/2016
- Help save M&StL caboose #1208 (PDF) - Rick Mills - Help the SDSRM preserve a priceless piece of South Dakota‘s rail history and culture... M&StL/C&NW caboose #1208
- Snap shots at Ellendale MN (PDF) - Todd Schwanke - The UP had just taken over, from the collection of Todd Schwanke
- Wall Lake Iowa 2015 (PDF) - Keith Graber - Photos from Wall Lake, Iowa, in December 2015
- Chicago & North Western C44-9W's Nos. 8646 and 8701 (PDF) - John Fisher - CNW Nos. 8646 and 870 were moved tothe Illinois Railway Museum in Union, IL
- Fairmont identified by Bruce Johnson (PDF) - Bruce N. Johnson - I believe that this is Fairmont, Minnesota. I have seen this picture at the Martin County Historical Society. I grew up in Fairmont and spent many hours down at the depot. The Milwaukee Road tracks were just to the south (or right in the pictures) Their water tank can be seen over the roof of the CNW depot. Bruce N. Johnson
- Remnants of the FEVR (Ex-C&NW Cowboy Line) (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - 8/01/15 Photos by Darrell D. Wendt
- Last of the Cowboy Line (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Photos from the Fremont area by Darrell D. Wendt
- Reminisce by Truman Koehn (PDF) - Truman Koehn - The town of Oostburg, WI
- Photos from the 2015 convention (PDF) - Tim Coyle & Darrell D. Wendt - Model and locomotive photos taken during the UP/CNWHS 2015 convention in Omaha
- 2015 UP-C&NW Annual Convention Meet in Omaha 6/42015 (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Locomotive photos taken by Darrell D. Wendt
- The new (PDF) - Allan Love Jr - Blair, NB by Allan Love Jr
- Plymouth Kohler Rebuild 4/24/2015 update (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - Continuing the rebuilding of the Plmouth Kohler line April 4
- Plymouth Kohler Rebuild 3/30/2015 update (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - continuing the rebuilding of the Plmouth Kohler line March 30 to April 4
- A railfan trip to the C&NW (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - The former C&NW "Cowboy Line" as it is March 29, 2015
- Plymouth Kohler Rebuild 3/31/2015 update (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - Rebuilding the old CNW to Kohler WI. MArch 24 to March 30
- Construction on the old Plymouth WI line (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - PLYMOUTH TO KOHLER RAILROAD PROJECT – UPDATE 3/12/15
- Truman Koehn’s Experiences to be a C&NW engineer (PDF) - Truman Koehn - Engineer training
- Ex-C&NW #7801, Cafe/Lounge Then and Now (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Cafe/Lounge CBW #7801 transfer to Rails West Railroad Museum.
- Veterans’ Association of the Chicago & North Western Railway (PDF) - Ed Henry and Merrill Price - Ed Henry and Merrill Price Remember
- Snap shots from Dave Yetter from the 70s. (PDF) - Dave Yetter - What the railroad looked like from the cab.
- Photos of 6703 Ex CNW (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Photos at Omaha of 6703 by Darrell Wendt
- CNW coal Hoppers (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt
- Plowing Snow at Cudahy, WI (PDF) - Dan Sylvester - One of the Jordan Spreader working in the yard at Cudahy, Wisconsin (A Milwaukee Suburb) by Dan Sylvester
- West Bend WI Depot (PDF) - Thomas Burns - Moving the depot in West Bend. By Thomas Burns
- “Railroad Changes” by Truman Koehn (PDF) - Truman Koeh - Changes that occurred in the railroad industry and the C&NW during my career
- A group of pictures of the B&O, C&O in Chicago by Joe Piersen (PDF) - Je Piersen
- CNW 430, track geometry car at French Lick, Indiana (PDF) - Jack Mullen
- Pella Chronicle Thursday, December 17, 1936 p. 4 story from Oskaloosa Herald (PDF) - Pella Chronicle - Newspaper story about a 1936 C&NW branch abandonment
- Book Review (PDF) - Jerry Krug - Five-Mile Spur Line: A Railroad History of Sycamore, Illinois.
- Mainline Modeler index (PDF) - Ron Christensen - Mainline Modeler article sort for CNW family articles
- St, James MN 2014 (PDF) - Mike Lenzen
- Rebuilding the old CNW line to Plymouth WI. line. (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - Rebuilding the old CNW line to Plymouth WI. line. June 2014
- Plymouth Kohler, WI. Rebuild (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - The rebuilding of the Plmouth Kohler, WI. line
- C&NW small Interlocking Tower (PDF) - Ron Christensen
- Rapid City, Pierre and Eastern Railroad (PDF) - Milo Dailey
- Photos taken at the UP (CNW) yard in Waukegan, Illinois 03-29-2014. (PDF) - Tom Bodkin
- Modeler index (PDF) - Ron Christensen - Index to articles in the Modeler
- Winter in 2014 (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie - Old CNW right of way now CP in Minnesota.
- President Hardings Funeral train (PDF) - Rick Scott - The funeral train of President Warren G Harding in August of 1923 In Clinton Iowa. Rick Scott.
- CNW dinner in Texas (PDF) - Roger Marlatt
- Train wrecks on the C&NW 5/15/17 (PDF) - Frank Carlson
- Winter in Minnesota (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie
- The old C&NW at Cavour, SD in the morning (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie
- Last days of the M&StL in Marshalltown by Scot Mason, part 2 (PDF) - Scot Mason
- Wyoming and North-Western Ry (PDF) - Kurt Stoebe - A brief history and a cover of a Yellowstone park brochure.
- Remembering the Chicago & North Western before the UP takeover. (PDF) - Darrell Wendt - Remembering the Chicago & North Western before the UP takeover.
- CP train,northbound to Rapid City SD on the old CNW. (PDF) - Rick Mils - Northbound CP train to Rapid City, by Rick Mils 9/7/13.
- Last days of the M&StL in Marshalltown, July 28 2013, by Scot Mason, part 1 (PDF) - Scot Mason
- Sturgis SD (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie - Sturgis, SD rail picture by Steve Guthrie.
- Photo of the day 5/23/13 (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie - Photo of the day by Steve Guthrie 5/23/13
- Book Reviews (PDF) - Jerry Krug - Rails to the Rosebud: The Chicago & North Western Branch Line to Winner S.D.
Review of Chicago & North Western In Color, Volume 4: 1965-1995
- Crandall Cab drawing in O scale (PDF) - Dennis Eggert - When printed 1:1 they should be scaled properly. Print your scale and check it with a scale ruler. The O scale version prints on 11x17 paper.
- Crandell Cab drawings in HO scale (PDF) - Dennis Eggert - When printed 1:1 they should be scaled properly. Print your scale and check it with a scale ruler.
- Crandall Cab drawings in N scale (PDF) - Dennis Eggert - When printed 1:1 they should be scaled properly. Print your scale and check it with a scale ruler.
- Onida SD January 2013 (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie - The C&NW was the railroad in town, but not know.
- Can you identify? (PDF) - by Frank Carlson - The Archives would like to know.
- Evaluation the missing page 59 (PDF) - CNWHS
- Snow storm on the old C&NW Dec. 27, 2012 by Stephen Guthrie (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie
- Ida Grove Sub today (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt
- California Junction Today 10/15/12 (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - How the UP has rebuild the junction
- Appleton in August 2012 (PDF) - Dennis Eggert
- The old C&NW and DME railroad at Northville, SD 8/23/12 (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie
- HISTORY OF THE GLACIAL DRUMLIN STATE TRAIL 8/18/12 (PDF) - Jim White - HISTORY OF THE GLACIAL DRUMLIN STATE TRAIL and the C&NW old right of way.
- The River Line August 2012. (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Removal of the River Line August 2012.
- Iron Wood depot 2012. (PDF) - Frank Welnetz - The Ironwood Depot as it looks today.
- Council Bluffs roundhouse (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Scenes from the C&NW roundhouse.
- Carol Iowa Depot (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt
- New Blair Second Track (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt
- Rockfords 7th street station. (PDF) - Ron Christensen
- C&NW family index in Mainline Modeler (PDF) - Ron Christensen
- Modeling the C&NW NORTHERN Series Sleeping Cars (PDF) - James Broughton - Jim takes you through the steps to model a Northern Series sleeper car
- Modeling CGW's NW-2s and TR-2s (PDF) - Bill Landis - Reprinted from the Summer 1987 NWL
- C&NW commuter cars (PDF) - Andre Kristopans - A listing of pre bi-level commuter cars by Andre Kristopans
- Review of the bay window M&StL caboose kit by AMB (PDF) - Douglas Harding
- Review of the CGW AMB model kits (PDF) - Douglas Harding
- M&StL Model list by Gene Green (PDF) - Gene Green
- The Pioneer Story (PDF) - Frank Carlson -
- CNW 50300-50389 - 2 Bay Hoppers (PDF) - Joe Piersen - In the 1970's the CNW bought and refurbished 2 bay hoppers series 50300-50389. History and photos of these cars.
- Ready-To-Run Upgrade 1: Athearn 50' Flat Car with 45' Trailer (PDF) - Howard J. Samarin - Upgrading an Athearn Ready-To-Run factory painted 50' flat car and trailer - adding weights and details.