Modeling - Articles
- Modelers Corner #1 (PDF) - John Hagen - Chicago & North Western Leased Ore Cars
- Modelers Corner #2 (PDF) - Dennis Eggert - Modeling Eyota, Minnesota in HO Scale (Circa 1976).
- Modelers Corner #3 (PDF) - Dan Vandermause - Chicago & North Western 400 Sign
- *CNWHS Modeler index (PDF)
- 2017 CNWHS PS2 covered hopper model (PDF) - Kurt Hayek
- B&O and C&O on the C&NW in Chicago by Joe Piersen (PDF) - Je Piersen
- Book Review Five-Mile Spur Line: A Railroad History of Sycamore, Illinois. (PDF) - Jerry Krug
- Book Review Rails to the Rosebud and Chicago & North Western In Color, Volume 4: 1965-1995 (PDF) - Jerry Krug - Rails to the Rosebud: The Chicago & North Western Branch Line to Winner S.D.
and Review of Chicago & North Western In Color, Volume 4: 1965-1995
- Building Fund Announcement (PDF)
- Building fund form (PDF)
- C&NW 430, track geometry car at French Lick, Indiana (PDF) - Jack Mullen
- C&NW 50300-50389 - 2 Bay Hoppers (PDF) - Joe Piersen - In the 1970's the CNW bought and refurbished 2 bay hoppers series 50300-50389. History and photos of these cars.
- C&NW C44-9W's Nos. 8646 and 8701 (PDF) - John Fisher - CNW Nos. 8646 and 870 were moved tothe Illinois Railway Museum in Union, IL
- C&NW commuter cars (PDF) - Andre Kristopans - A listing of pre bi-level commuter cars by Andre Kristopans
- C&NW dinner in Texas (PDF) - Roger Marlatt
- C&NW family index in Mainline Modeler (PDF) - Ron Christensen
- C&NW small Interlocking Tower (PDF) - Ron Christensen
- Can you identify? (PDF) - by Frank Carlson - The Archives would like to know.
- CNWHS 2018 Model car - PS boxcar
- Construction on the old Plymouth WI line (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - PLYMOUTH TO KOHLER RAILROAD PROJECT – UPDATE 3/12/15
- CP train,northbound to Rapid City SD on the old CNW. (PDF) - Rick Mils - Northbound CP train to Rapid City, by Rick Mils 9/7/13.
- Darrell D. Wendt photos of Ex-C&NW #7801 (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Cafe/Lounge CBW #7801 transfer to Rails West Railroad Museum.
- Darrell D. Wendt photos of the Nebraska Northwestern Railroad (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - The Nebraska Northwestern Railroad (NNW) began operation in April 2010,
on 7.5 miles of ex- C&NW "Cowboy Line" trackage between Chadron and Crawford, Nebraska.
- Darrell D. Wendt photos of the Union Pacific's baseball game 2016 (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Union Pacific's annual "Home Plate Special" made a reverse movement
from Council Bluffs to Omaha on the morning of 6/15/2016.
- Darrell D. Wendt at California Junction (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - How the UP has rebuild California Junction, 10/15/12
- Darrell D. Wendt at the Council Bluffs roundhouse (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Scenes from the C&NW roundhouse.
- Darrell D. Wendt on the history of the Omaha area (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - History of the Omaha area 5/6/2016
- Darrell D. Wendt photos of CNW coal Hoppers (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt
- Darrell D. Wendt photos of Ex-C&NW C40-8 on BNSF (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Photos of Ex-C&NW C40-8 on BNSF, taken in May 2017.
- Darrell D. Wendt photos of the Ida Grove Sub (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Ida Grove Sub today 12/1/12
- Darrell D. Wendt photos of the UP Director's Special (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - A UP director's special arrived in Omaha during midday on 6/09/2016 with a 7-car lash-up and a pair of clean motors. Two ex-C&NW cars were in the consist, sleeper Lake Forest", and bringing up the rear was the theater car "Fox River". The special passed by the Amtrak passenger platform and was highlighted by the former Union Station. (now Durham Museum).Darrell D. Wendt
- Darrell D. Wendt Remembering the C & N W (PDF) - Darrell Wendt - Remembering the Chicago & North Western before the UP takeover.
- Darrell D. Wendt's Locomotive photos (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - 2015 UP-C&NW Annual Convention Meet in Omaha 6/42015
- Darrell D. Wendt's photos of the Carol Iowa Depot (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt
- Darrell D. Wendt's photos on the "Cowboy Line" (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - The former C&NW "Cowboy Line" as it is March 29, 2015
- Darrell D. Wendt, photos of the The River Line August 2012. (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Removal of the River Line August 2012.
- Darrell D. Wendt, Last of the Cowboy Line (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Photos from the Fremont area by Darrell D. Wendt
- Darrell D. Wendt, Photos of 6703 Ex CNW (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Photos at Omaha of 6703 by Darrell Wendt
- Darrell D. Wendt, photos of the New Blair Second Track (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt
- Darrell D. Wendt, Removing the IC & CNW crossing in Council Bluffs (PDF) - Darrell Wendt - January 12th, 2012 a Canadian National maintenance crew complete the removal process of the former C&NW/IC diamond, near 2nd Avenue and 13th Street in Council Bluffs, Iowa. by Darrell Wendt
- Darrell D. Wendt, Union Pacific baseball special 2017 (PDF) - Darrell Wendt - This year's UP Home Plate Special, for the 2017 NCAA Men's College World Series
features two ex-C&NW coaches in the 20 car consist (Lake Bluff and Lake Forest).
- Evaluation the missing page 59 (PDF) - CNWHS
- Fairmont identified by Bruce Johnson (PDF) - Bruce N. Johnson - I believe that this is Fairmont, Minnesota. I have seen this picture at the Martin County Historical Society. I grew up in Fairmont and spent many hours down at the depot. The Milwaukee Road tracks were just to the south (or right in the pictures) Their water tank can be seen over the roof of the CNW depot. Bruce N. Johnson
- From the Deck of President Mike Lenzen (PDF) - Mike Lenzen - A request for modeling articles for North Western lines
- Help save M&StL caboose #1208 (PDF) - Rick Mills - Help the SDSRM preserve a priceless piece of South Dakota‘s rail history and culture... M&StL/C&NW caboose #1208
- HISTORY OF THE GLACIAL DRUMLIN STATE TRAIL 8/18/12 (PDF) - Jim White - HISTORY OF THE GLACIAL DRUMLIN STATE TRAIL and the C&NW old right of way.
- Illuminated C&NW Logo Sign To Be Raffled Off At The 2018 C&NWHS Annual Meet, May 17 – 20, 2018! (PDF) - Can't make it to the Annual Meet. Tickets can be purchased by a friend. one ticket $20 or 3 for $50
- Iron Wood depot 2012. (PDF) - Frank Welnetz - The Ironwood Depot as it looks today.
- Last days of the M&StL in Marshalltown by Scot Mason, part 2 (PDF) - Scot Mason
- Last days of the M&StL in Marshalltown, July 28 2013, by Scot Mason, part 1 (PDF) - Scot Mason
- M&StL Model list by Gene Green (PDF) - Gene Green
- Main Line Modeler Index (PDF) - Index of CNW and family lines
- Memorial Brick Form (PDF) - Chicago and North Western Historical Society Wall of Memories - Tile Donation Form
- Modelers Corner #4 (PDF) - Doug Harding - The Elusive M&StL Refrigerator Cars by Doug Harding
- Modeling CGW's NW-2s and TR-2s (PDF) - Bill Landis - Reprinted from the Summer 1987 NWL
- Modeling Crandall Cab drawing in O scale (PDF) - Dennis Eggert - When printed 1:1 they should be scaled properly. Print your scale and check it with a scale ruler. The O scale version prints on 11x17 paper.
- Modeling Crandall Cab drawings in N scale (PDF) - Dennis Eggert - When printed 1:1 they should be scaled properly. Print your scale and check it with a scale ruler.
- Modeling Crandell Cab drawings in HO scale (PDF) - Dennis Eggert - When printed 1:1 they should be scaled properly. Print your scale and check it with a scale ruler.
- Modeling Mainline Modeler index (PDF) - Ron Christensen - Mainline Modeler article sort for CNW family articles
- Modeling Ready-To-Run Upgrade 1: Athearn 50' Flat Car with 45' Trailer (PDF) - Howard J. Samarin - Upgrading an Athearn Ready-To-Run factory painted 50' flat car and trailer - adding weights and details.
- Modeling the C&NW NORTHERN Series Sleeping Cars (PDF) - James Broughton - Jim takes you through the steps to model a Northern Series sleeper car
- Pella Chronicle Thursday, December 17, 1936 p. 4 story from Oskaloosa Herald (PDF) - Pella Chronicle - Newspaper story about a 1936 C&NW branch abandonment
- Photo of the day 5/23/13 (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie - Photo of the day by Steve Guthrie 5/23/13
- Photos from the 2015 convention (PDF) - Tim Coyle & Darrell D. Wendt - Model and locomotive photos taken during the UP/CNWHS 2015 convention in Omaha
- Photos of the old C&NW line in Appleton, August 2012 (PDF) - Dennis Eggert
- Photos taken at the UP (CNW) yard in Waukegan, Illinois 03-29-2014. (PDF) - Tom Bodkin
- Plowing Snow at Cudahy, WI (PDF) - Dan Sylvester - One of the Jordan Spreader working in the yard at Cudahy, Wisconsin (A Milwaukee Suburb) by Dan Sylvester
- Plymouth Kohler Rebuild 3/30/2015 update (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - continuing the rebuilding of the Plmouth Kohler line March 30 to April 4
- Plymouth Kohler Rebuild 3/31/2015 update (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - Rebuilding the old CNW to Kohler WI. MArch 24 to March 30
- Plymouth Kohler Rebuild 4/24/2015 update (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - Continuing the rebuilding of the Plmouth Kohler line April 4
- Plymouth Kohler, WI. Rebuild (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - The rebuilding of the Plmouth Kohler, WI. line
- President Hardings Funeral train (PDF) - Rick Scott - The funeral train of President Warren G Harding in August of 1923 In Clinton Iowa. Rick Scott.
- Rapid City, Pierre and Eastern Railroad (PDF) - Milo Dailey
- Rebuilding the old CNW line to Plymouth WI. line. (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - Rebuilding the old CNW line to Plymouth WI. line. June 2014
- Removing the M&StL from Marshalltown North to Steamboat Rock (PDF) - Scot Mason - Short picture article form 2013 of the M&StL from Marshalltown North to Steamboat Rock, by Scot Mason
- Review of the bay window M&StL caboose kit by AMB (PDF) - Douglas Harding
- Review of the CGW AMB model kits (PDF) - Douglas Harding
- Rockfords 7th street station. (PDF) - Ron Christensen
- Snap shots at Ellendale MN (PDF) - Todd Schwanke - The UP had just taken over, from the collection of Todd Schwanke
- Snap shots from Dave Yetter from the 70s. (PDF) - Dave Yetter - What the railroad looked like from the cab.
- St, James MN 2014 (PDF) - Mike Lenzen
- St. James, Minnesota Railroad Days, June 23rd – 26th, 2016 (PDF) - Mike Lenzen - The St. James Railroad Depot Museum is open once a year look for the 2017 days
- Stephen Guthrie - Onida SD January 2013 (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie - The C&NW was the railroad in town, but not know.
- Stephen Guthrie - Snow storm on the old C&NW Dec. 27, 2012 by Stephen Guthrie (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie
- Stephen Guthrie - Sturgis SD (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie - Sturgis, SD rail picture by Steve Guthrie.
- Stephen Guthrie - The old C&NW and DME railroad at Northville, SD 8/23/12 (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie
- Stephen Guthrie - The old C&NW at Cavour, SD in the morning (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie
- Stephen Guthrie - Winter in 2014 (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie - Old CNW right of way now CP in Minnesota.
- Stephen Guthrie - Winter in Minnesota (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie
- The new "Way-Side" "No-Horn" Train policy (PDF) - Allan Love Jr - Blair, NB by Allan Love Jr
- The Pioneer Story (PDF) - Frank Carlson -
- Train wrecks on the C&NW 5/15/17 (PDF) - Frank Carlson
- Truman Koehn Reminisce (PDF) - Truman Koehn - The town of Oostburg, WI
- Truman Koehn “Railroad Changes” (PDF) - Truman Koeh - Changes that occurred in the railroad industry and the C&NW during my career
- Truman Koehn’s Experiences to be a C&NW engineer (PDF) - Truman Koehn - Engineer training
- Veterans’ Association of the Chicago & North Western Railway (PDF) - Ed Henry and Merrill Price - Ed Henry and Merrill Price Remember
- Wall Lake Iowa 2015 (PDF) - Keith Graber - Photos from Wall Lake, Iowa, in December 2015
- West Bend WI Depot (PDF) - Thomas Burns - Moving the depot in West Bend. By Thomas Burns
- Wyoming and North-Western Ry (PDF) - Kurt Stoebe - A brief history and a cover of a Yellowstone park brochure.