Modeling - Articles
- 2015 UP-C&NW Annual Convention Meet in Omaha 6/42015 (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Locomotive photos taken by Darrell D. Wendt
- 2017 CNWHS PS2 covered hopper model (PDF) - Kurt Hayek
- 2018 CNWHS convention news (PDF)
- A group of pictures of the B&O, C&O in Chicago by Joe Piersen (PDF) - Je Piersen
- A railfan trip to the C&NW (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - The former C&NW "Cowboy Line" as it is March 29, 2015
- Appleton in August 2012 (PDF) - Dennis Eggert
- Book Review (PDF) - Jerry Krug - Five-Mile Spur Line: A Railroad History of Sycamore, Illinois.
- Book Reviews (PDF) - Jerry Krug - Rails to the Rosebud: The Chicago & North Western Branch Line to Winner S.D.
Review of Chicago & North Western In Color, Volume 4: 1965-1995
- Building Fund Announcement (PDF)
- Building fund form (PDF)
- C&NW commuter cars (PDF) - Andre Kristopans - A listing of pre bi-level commuter cars by Andre Kristopans
- C&NW family index in Mainline Modeler (PDF) - Ron Christensen
- C&NW small Interlocking Tower (PDF) - Ron Christensen
- California Junction Today 10/15/12 (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - How the UP has rebuild the junction
- Can you identify? (PDF) - by Frank Carlson - The Archives would like to know.
- Carol Iowa Depot (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt
- Chicago & North Western C44-9W's Nos. 8646 and 8701 (PDF) - John Fisher - CNW Nos. 8646 and 870 were moved tothe Illinois Railway Museum in Union, IL
- CNW 430, track geometry car at French Lick, Indiana (PDF) - Jack Mullen
- CNW 50300-50389 - 2 Bay Hoppers (PDF) - Joe Piersen - In the 1970's the CNW bought and refurbished 2 bay hoppers series 50300-50389. History and photos of these cars.
- CNW coal Hoppers (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt
- CNW dinner in Texas (PDF) - Roger Marlatt
- Construction on the old Plymouth WI line (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - PLYMOUTH TO KOHLER RAILROAD PROJECT – UPDATE 3/12/15
- Council Bluffs roundhouse (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Scenes from the C&NW roundhouse.
- CP train,northbound to Rapid City SD on the old CNW. (PDF) - Rick Mils - Northbound CP train to Rapid City, by Rick Mils 9/7/13.
- Evaluation the missing page 59 (PDF) - CNWHS
- Ex-C&NW #7801, Cafe/Lounge Then and Now (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Cafe/Lounge CBW #7801 transfer to Rails West Railroad Museum.
- Ex-C&NW C40-8 on BNSF by Darrell D. Wendt (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Photos of Ex-C&NW C40-8 on BNSF, taken in May 2017.
- Fairmont identified by Bruce Johnson (PDF) - Bruce N. Johnson - I believe that this is Fairmont, Minnesota. I have seen this picture at the Martin County Historical Society. I grew up in Fairmont and spent many hours down at the depot. The Milwaukee Road tracks were just to the south (or right in the pictures) Their water tank can be seen over the roof of the CNW depot. Bruce N. Johnson
- From the Deck of President Mike Lenzen (PDF) - Mike Lenzen - A request for modeling articles for North Western lines
- Help save M&StL caboose #1208 (PDF) - Rick Mills - Help the SDSRM preserve a priceless piece of South Dakota‘s rail history and culture... M&StL/C&NW caboose #1208
- HISTORY OF THE GLACIAL DRUMLIN STATE TRAIL 8/18/12 (PDF) - Jim White - HISTORY OF THE GLACIAL DRUMLIN STATE TRAIL and the C&NW old right of way.
- History of the Omaha area by Darrell Wendt 5/6/2016 (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - History of the Omaha area by Darrell Wendt 5/6/2016
- Ida Grove Sub today 12/1/12 (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt
- Iron Wood depot 2012. (PDF) - Frank Welnetz - The Ironwood Depot as it looks today.
- Last days of the M&StL in Marshalltown by Scot Mason, part 2 (PDF) - Scot Mason
- Last days of the M&StL in Marshalltown, July 28 2013, by Scot Mason, part 1 (PDF) - Scot Mason
- Last of the Cowboy Line (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Photos from the Fremont area by Darrell D. Wendt
- M&StL Model list by Gene Green (PDF) - Gene Green
- Memorial Brick Form (PDF) - Chicago and North Western Historical Society Wall of Memories - Tile Donation Form
- Modeler index (PDF) - Ron Christensen - Index to articles in the Modeler
- Modeling CGW's NW-2s and TR-2s (PDF) - Bill Landis - Reprinted from the Summer 1987 NWL
- Modeling Crandall Cab drawing in O scale (PDF) - Dennis Eggert - When printed 1:1 they should be scaled properly. Print your scale and check it with a scale ruler. The O scale version prints on 11x17 paper.
- Modeling Crandall Cab drawings in N scale (PDF) - Dennis Eggert - When printed 1:1 they should be scaled properly. Print your scale and check it with a scale ruler.
- Modeling Crandell Cab drawings in HO scale (PDF) - Dennis Eggert - When printed 1:1 they should be scaled properly. Print your scale and check it with a scale ruler.
- Modeling Mainline Modeler index (PDF) - Ron Christensen - Mainline Modeler article sort for CNW family articles
- Modeling Ready-To-Run Upgrade 1: Athearn 50' Flat Car with 45' Trailer (PDF) - Howard J. Samarin - Upgrading an Athearn Ready-To-Run factory painted 50' flat car and trailer - adding weights and details.
- Modeling the C&NW NORTHERN Series Sleeping Cars (PDF) - James Broughton - Jim takes you through the steps to model a Northern Series sleeper car
- Nebraska Northwestern Railroad (NNW) , which began in April 2010. (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - The Nebraska Northwestern Railroad (NNW) began operation in April 2010,
on 7.5 miles of ex- C&NW "Cowboy Line" trackage between Chadron and Crawford, Nebraska.
- New Blair Second Track (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt
- Onida SD January 2013 (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie - The C&NW was the railroad in town, but not know.
- Pella Chronicle Thursday, December 17, 1936 p. 4 story from Oskaloosa Herald (PDF) - Pella Chronicle - Newspaper story about a 1936 C&NW branch abandonment
- Photo of the day 5/23/13 (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie - Photo of the day by Steve Guthrie 5/23/13
- Photos from the 2015 convention (PDF) - Tim Coyle & Darrell D. Wendt - Model and locomotive photos taken during the UP/CNWHS 2015 convention in Omaha
- Photos of 6703 Ex CNW (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Photos at Omaha of 6703 by Darrell Wendt
- Photos taken at the UP (CNW) yard in Waukegan, Illinois 03-29-2014. (PDF) - Tom Bodkin
- Plowing Snow at Cudahy, WI (PDF) - Dan Sylvester - One of the Jordan Spreader working in the yard at Cudahy, Wisconsin (A Milwaukee Suburb) by Dan Sylvester
- Plymouth Kohler Rebuild 3/30/2015 update (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - continuing the rebuilding of the Plmouth Kohler line March 30 to April 4
- Plymouth Kohler Rebuild 3/31/2015 update (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - Rebuilding the old CNW to Kohler WI. MArch 24 to March 30
- Plymouth Kohler Rebuild 4/24/2015 update (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - Continuing the rebuilding of the Plmouth Kohler line April 4
- Plymouth Kohler, WI. Rebuild (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - The rebuilding of the Plmouth Kohler, WI. line
- President Hardings Funeral train (PDF) - Rick Scott - The funeral train of President Warren G Harding in August of 1923 In Clinton Iowa. Rick Scott.
- Rapid City, Pierre and Eastern Railroad (PDF) - Milo Dailey
- Rebuilding the old CNW line to Plymouth WI. line. (PDF) - Jerry Thompson - Rebuilding the old CNW line to Plymouth WI. line. June 2014
- Remembering the Chicago & North Western before the UP takeover. (PDF) - Darrell Wendt - Remembering the Chicago & North Western before the UP takeover.
- Remnants of the FEVR (Ex-C&NW Cowboy Line) (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - 8/01/15 Photos by Darrell D. Wendt
- Removing the IC & CNW crossing in Council Bluffs (PDF) - Darrell Wendt - January 12th, 2012 a Canadian National maintenance crew complete the removal process of the former C&NW/IC diamond, near 2nd Avenue and 13th Street in Council Bluffs, Iowa. by Darrell Wendt
- Removing the M&StL from Marshalltown North to Steamboat Rock (PDF) - Scot Mason - Short picture article form 2013 of the M&StL from Marshalltown North to Steamboat Rock, by Scot Mason
- Review of the bay window M&StL caboose kit by AMB (PDF) - Douglas Harding
- Review of the CGW AMB model kits (PDF) - Douglas Harding
- Rockfords 7th street station. (PDF) - Ron Christensen
- Snap shots at Ellendale MN (PDF) - Todd Schwanke - The UP had just taken over, from the collection of Todd Schwanke
- Snap shots from Dave Yetter from the 70s. (PDF) - Dave Yetter - What the railroad looked like from the cab.
- Snow storm on the old C&NW Dec. 27, 2012 by Stephen Guthrie (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie
- St, James MN 2014 (PDF) - Mike Lenzen
- St. James, Minnesota Railroad Days, June 23rd – 26th, 2016 (PDF) - Mike Lenzen - The St. James Railroad Depot Museum is open once a year look for the 2017 days
- Sturgis SD (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie - Sturgis, SD rail picture by Steve Guthrie.
- Take Me Out to the Ball Game UP Style (PDF) - Darrell Wendt - This year's UP Home Plate Special, for the 2017 NCAA Men's College World Series
features two ex-C&NW coaches in the 20 car consist (Lake Bluff and Lake Forest).
- The new "Way-Side" "No-Horn" Train policy (PDF) - Allan Love Jr - Blair, NB by Allan Love Jr
- The old C&NW and DME railroad at Northville, SD 8/23/12 (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie
- The old C&NW at Cavour, SD in the morning (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie
- The Pioneer Story (PDF) - Frank Carlson -
- The River Line August 2012. (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Removal of the River Line August 2012.
- Train wrecks on the C&NW 5/15/17 (PDF) - Frank Carlson
- Truman Koehn Reminisce (PDF) - Truman Koehn - The town of Oostburg, WI
- Truman Koehn “Railroad Changes” (PDF) - Truman Koeh - Changes that occurred in the railroad industry and the C&NW during my career
- Truman Koehn’s Experiences to be a C&NW engineer (PDF) - Truman Koehn - Engineer training
- U P Railroad Museum offers Passenger Train Excursion,Aug. 13, 2017 (PDF) - Union Pacific Railroad Museum offers Passenger Train Excursion
on Historic Mainline Between Omaha and Columbus, Nebraska
- Union Pacific's annual (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - Union Pacific's annual "Home Plate Special" made a reverse movement
from Council Bluffs to Omaha on the morning of 6/15/2016.
- UP Director's Special (PDF) - Darrell D. Wendt - A UP director's special arrived in Omaha during midday on 6/09/2016 with a 7-car lash-up and a pair of clean motors. Two ex-C&NW cars were in the consist, sleeper Lake Forest", and bringing up the rear was the theater car "Fox River". The special passed by the Amtrak passenger platform and was highlighted by the former Union Station. (now Durham Museum).Darrell D. Wendt
- Veterans’ Association of the Chicago & North Western Railway (PDF) - Ed Henry and Merrill Price - Ed Henry and Merrill Price Remember
- Wall Lake Iowa 2015 (PDF) - Keith Graber - Photos from Wall Lake, Iowa, in December 2015
- West Bend WI Depot (PDF) - Thomas Burns - Moving the depot in West Bend. By Thomas Burns
- Winter in 2014 (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie - Old CNW right of way now CP in Minnesota.
- Winter in Minnesota (PDF) - Stephen Guthrie
- Wyoming and North-Western Ry (PDF) - Kurt Stoebe - A brief history and a cover of a Yellowstone park brochure.