NWL Index Search
1 2010 Issue Overview
In This Issue:
- CNW Locomotive EMD GP-40 #5528 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1988 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Wedge Snow Plow # ????? Photo Ironwood Michigan No Date - Larry Easton photo
- Chicago and North Western in Kenosha Wisconsin - Bob Baker
- CNW Locomotive EMD F7A #4096C Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1964 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Train #152 at Kenosha Station Platform Photo 1968 - Russ Porter photo / Mike Patrick collection
- CNW Locomotive Class D 4-4-2 Atlantic #1098 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1939 - Tony Klowa photo
- Map of Kenosha Depicting Railroads Interurbans and Industries No Date - WRP & Bob Baker
- CNW Track PLan Map w/ Station Trackage & Structures Kenosha Wisconsin 1917 - CNW Document / CNWHS Archives
- CNW Wye Aerial Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1968 - CNWHS collection
- CNW Depot Track Elevation Project Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1931 - Kenosha History Center collection
- CNW Locomotive 4-4-2 Atlantic #1307 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1940 - CNWHS collection
- CNW Lower Coach Yard w/ Water Tank & Coaling Tower Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1957 - Ed Spitzer photo
- CNW Locomotive Class R-1 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler #1758 w/ Special Train Photo Kenosha Wisconsin ca. 1915 - 1920 - Kenosha History Center collection
- CNW Locomotive Fairbanks-Morse H-16-66 #1693 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1965 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Locomotive Class H-1 4-8-4 Northern #3004 Photo Bain Wisconsin 1948 - CNWHS collection
- CNW Locomotive Alco RSD-5 #1688 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1959 - Ed Spitzer photo
- CNW Commuter Train on Wye Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1966 - Mike Patrick photo
- The Kenosha Depot - Bob Baker
- CNW Depot Photo Looking North Kenosha Wisconsin 1940 - CNWHS collection
- CNW Depot Photo Looking South Kenosha Wisconsin 1940 - CNWHS collection
- CNW Depot Photo w/ Accessory Structures Kenosha Wisconsin 1910 - CNWHS collection
- CNW Depot Interior Photo w/ Newspaper Stand Kenosha Wisconsin 1948 - CNWHS collection
- CNW Depot Replacement Project Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1948 - CNWHS collection
- CNW Roster of Revenue Customers Kenosha Wisconsin 1952 - CNWHS Archives
- CNW Locomotive Alco S-2 #1011 w/ Boxcar Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1966 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Locomotive EMD GP-7 #1584 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1965 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Farm Yard West End Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1950's - Kenosha History Center collection
- METRA Locomotives EMD 40PH-2 #148 + #157 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 2007 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Commuter Train Cab Car End Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1978 - Tim Fuhrer photo
- CNW Locomotives EMD SD40-2 #8018 + #8019 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1987 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Iron Ore Train Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1990 - Bob Baker photo
- Fox River Valley RR Locomotive EMD GP-35 #832 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1989 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Locomotive EMD F7A #4101C Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1960 - Mike Franzwa photo
- CNW Locomotive EMD GP-7 #1652 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1957 - J. David Ingles photo
- Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee Interurban Train Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1962 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Locomotive EMD E8 #5031A Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1981 - Dick Wagner photo
- CNW Locomotive 0-6-0 Switcher #2148 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1955 - Jack Gervais photo
- CNW Locomotive EMD SW-? #1091 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1966 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Locomotive EMD E7 #5016A Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1966 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Locomotive EMD GP-7 Rebuild #4336 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1979 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Yard Photo Bain Wisconsin 1968 - CNWHS collection
- Loading American Motors Corporation Automobiles on Railcars at Bain Yard Photo 1960 - CNWHS collection
- American Motors Corporation Automobiles Loaded on Rail Cars @ Bain Yard Photo 1960 - CNWHS collection
- CNW Locomotive EMD GP-15-1 #4418 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1968 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Locomotive GE C40-8 #8535 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1992 - Mike Patrick photo
- WE Energy - Wisconsin Electric Power Company - Locomotive Photo Pleasant Prairie Wisconsin 1989 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Locomotive EMD GP-40 #5520 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1999 - Bob Baker photo
- CNW Locomotive Class R-1 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler #1385 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1983 - Mike Patrick photo
- CNW Locomotive EMD F-7A #403 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1985 - Bob Baker photo
- CNW Trackage Panoramic View Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1931 - MIke Patrick collection
- CNW Locomotive EMD F-7A #403 Photo Leading '400' Train Kenosha Wisconsin 1985 - Bob Baker photo
- Kenosha and the Auto Industry - Chris Keating
- CNW Locomotive Alco S-2 #1033 w/ Auto Train Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1962 - CNWHS collection
- AMC Automobile MOvement Via Auto-Train Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1962 - CNWHS collection
- CNW Train w/ Fully Enclosed Auto Rack Cars Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1983 - CNWHS collection
- CNW Automobile Boxcar #57884 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1964 - CNWHS collection
- AMC New Automobiles Loaded on Open Auto Rack Rail Cars Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1963 - CNWHS collection
- Subscription Cars on the C&NW - Joe Piersen
- CNW Train w/ 4 Subscription Cars Photo Chicago 1975 - CNWHS collection
- CNW Passenger Car Conversion Record 1961 - CNW Ry / CNWHS Archives
- CNW Subscription Car #555 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1975 - Joe Piersen photo
- CNW Passenger Club Car Article St Louis Globe-Democrat 01 April 1929 - St Louis Globe-Democrat newspaper / CNW Archives
- Subscription Member Roster for CNW Passenger Lounge Car #6701 "Deerpath" 1931 - CNWHS Archives
- CNW Passenger Club Car #6700 "Deerpath" Photo No Location 1967 - CNWHS collection
- CNW Passenger Club - Lounge Car #6700 [ex- 6511] Drawing & Specifications No Date - CNWHS Archives
- CNW Passenger Club - Lounge Car # 6700 [ex- 6511] Exterior and Interior Photo 1990 / 1974 - Jim H. Yanke photo
- CNW Passenger Club - Lounge Car #553 [ex- 6514] Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1975 - Joe Piersen photo
- CNW Passenger Club - Lounge Car #553 [ex- 6514] Drawing and Specifications No Date - CNW RR Document / CNWHS Archives
- Kenosha to Chicago Club Car Run 1970's - Jim Yanke
- CNW Passenger Club - Lounge Car #555 Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1975 - Joe Piersen photo
- CNW Passenger Lounge Car #7802 Photo Highland Park Illinois 1968 - Joe Piersen photo
- CNW Club-Lounge Car # 555 [nee: 6514] Interior Photo Kenosha Wisconsin 1984 - Jim H. Yanke photo
- CNW Club-Lounge Car # 555 [nee: 6514] Drawing and Specifications No Date - CNW Ry / CNWHS Archives
- CNW Local Passenger Tariff Page #1 1932 - CNW RR Document / CNWHS Archives
- CNW Locomotive EMD SD-9 #1722 Photo Leading Club Run Train Highland Park Illinois 1960 - CNWHS collection
- Interior View Pullman Standard Club Car Photo 1974 - Jim H. Yanke photo
- Illinois Central RR Locomotive GP40A #3066 Photo Rath Tower Waterloo Iowa 1970 - Merlyn Lauber photo
- Twin Cities Extras - Photo Section CGW in Minneapolis - St Paul Various Dates - CNWHS Staff
- CNW Locomotive Class R-1 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler #925 Photo Engine Service Facility Rockford Illinois No Date - Brian Landis Collection
- CNW Locomotive EMD F7A #414 Leading Commuter Train Hubbard Woods Station Winnetka Illinois 1975 - Michael W. Blaszak Photo
4 The Chicago & North Western in Kenosha, Wisconsin by Bob Baker
18 The Kenosha Depot by Bob Baker
36 Kenosha and the Auto Industry by Chris Keating
40 Subscription Cars on the C&NW by Joe Piersen
Seeing a new name in the masthead and a new photo here, you might be wondering, "Just who is this person in the C&NW world?"
"Well, uh ." Then I'm dashing off to hide behind the nearest SD40-2.
As most of you know, White River Productions is the leader in railway historical society periodicals. In the last two years, the three editors here have had a production hand in all the magazines generated from this office, and there are some advantages to this approach. But there are also challenges and disadvantages that have become magnified with our growth. In an effort to improve the overall effectiveness of what we do at WRP, a few minor adjustments seemed necessary.
To improve communications and to better handle submissions (electronically or otherwise), the time has come to assign each magazine a permanent production editor. As it pertains to North Western Lines, your editor, Kevin EuDaly, has appointed me to this production seat. And by the way, Kevin is still right here - about five steps from my desk - giving his approval and lending any assistance while finding the best ways to manage WRP's success.
For the past two years, I've been behind the scenes putting North Western Lines and the Newsliner insert together. Our goal is to continue to produce a high-quality magazine for the benefit of C&NWHS members and fans, and I'm honored to be a part of that process. From my perspective, reaching and exceeding that goal requires teamwork and mutual respect. I am confident in your ideas and suggestions, your research and resources, and your abilities and timeliness. (And to all of you, a sincere "thank you" for your time, effort, and assistance on both past and future editions.) Likewise, I'm confident in our editorial judgment to present not only well-written, edited text, but also the images that will complement and "best sell" the stories.
In bringing me to the forefront of the process, it usually means a few people are curious as to whether "the kid" knows the difference between a 4-8-4 and a Dash 9. So I guess along with the "handshakes" comes some sort of introduction (minus all the fluff).
I've always been fascinated by railroading. I'm a West Coaster (no apologies) with an interest in past and present Class Is and a few regional railroads. For 27 years I've contributed a fair amount of material to such magazines as Railroads Illustrated, the old Rail Classics, Railfan & Railroad and Trains. I've also contributed a few images to books and calendars. I was honored to be a part of a six-author team to work on The Complete Book of North American Railroading (released by Voyageur Press this past July).
My editorial background is in sports. I spent 14 years as a sports writer and editor working with a Seattle-based newspaper as well as with the Pro Athletes Outreach organization. Before moving to Kansas City to join the WRP team in December 2007, I worked 10 years in the retail world of model railroading. (I've dabbled in N scale for about 25 years.)
While I didn't grow up alongside Chicago & North Western rails, its diesel units wandered into the Pacific Northwest on many occasions. Needless to say, I tried to photograph as many as I could and thoroughly enjoyed shooting them in action when allowed to lead a power consist.
Beyond that, my family is my highest priority, and I'm grateful that they have an appreciation for railroading as well.
Turning our attention to this issue of North Western Lines, you'll see that we have a big splash on Kenosha, Wisconsin, which will be home to the 2010 Annual Meet.
Bob Baker has done a terrific job in putting together the main feature, and I know that hours were spent on writing the article and finding the best images after sorting through many. We were able to squeeze in a few extra shots with a six-page section dedicated to "Kenosha Snapshots."
Kenosha has a history in the auto industry, and Chris Keating has sent along a nice feature as well.
Finally we have Joe Piersen's piece on the Subscription Cars which were seen on the Chicago-Kenosha line. You'll see some of the names of those who regularly took the "million-dollar ride."
It is very likely we will have an additional feature or two on Kenosha in the next edition of North Western Lines. Also, be on the lookout for part 3 of Joe Piersen's Highland Park series. It has been bumped here to accommodate our Kenosha features. Blodgett will be the focus.
For now, enjoy this issue!
NWL Production Editor