Welcome to the CNWHS Photo Gallery!

The C&NWHS invites you to post C&NW and related railroad photos. Like to add your photos?


CNW_092.jpg
M&StL H-5 456 St.Paul, MN457 viewsThe last and most powerful group of 2-8-0's ordered by the M&StL consisted of 12 built by Schenectady in 1912. No. 456 lasted until 1950. It is pictured in St.Paul on August 3, 1941. A Robert Graham photo submitted by Edward J. Ozog.
CNW_091.jpg
M&StL H-6 468 Marshalltown, IA409 viewsNo. 468 was an Iowa Central engine built by Baldwin in 1910 and scrapped in 1945. It is at the Marshalltown roundhouse in 1939. A Keith Pregler photo submitted by Edward J. Ozog.
CNW_014~0.jpg
M&StL K-1 502 Chicago, IL673 viewsRobert Graham found Pacific 502 in Chicago on September 25, 1949. Although all five of the 4-6-2's built by Brooks in 1921 were retired by 1939, No. 502 was not reported scrapped until September 1949. Was she at the Chicago Railroad Fair? Her fine condition with rods on does not suggest scrapping is imminent. Submitted by Edward J. Ozog.
CNW_012~1.jpg
M&StL K-1 502 St.Paul, MN594 viewsIn January 1921 Brooks built twenty steam locomotives for the M&St.L. Fifteen were Mikados and five Pacifics. Construction numbers were consecutive from 2-8-2 No. 620 to 4-6-2 No. 504. They were the last steam locomotives built for the M&StL. A Robert Graham photo at St. Paul on August 8, 1937.
CNW_013~1.jpg
M&StL K-1 503 St.Paul, MN560 viewsK-1 503 looks superb on August 14, 1935 in a Robert Graham portrait in St. Paul. The Pacific was one of five built by Brooks in 1921 that were to have a relatively short life: all were out of service by 1939. Submitted by Edward J. Ozog.
CNW_015~1.jpg
M&StL K-1 504 St. Paul, MN557 viewsPacific 504 was the last steam locomotive built for the M&StL. All five of the 1921 Brook's 4-6-2's were retired in 1938 and 1939 leaving passenger service to four
4-6-0's built in 1909. A Robert Graham photo taken May 3, 1931 in St. Paul. Submitted by Edward J. Ozog.
CNW_093.jpg
M&StL M-1 602 St.Paul ,MN477 viewsNo. 602 was one of 15 2-8-2's built by Schenectady in 1915. They were followed by five more in 1916 and 15 in 1921. All were essentially the same though the last 15 had Delta trailing trucks. No. 602 was purchased by the Algoma Central & Hudson Bay in 1946. At St. Paul, Minnesota; date and photographer unknown. Submitted by Edward J. Ozog.
CNW~9.jpg
M&StL M-1 606 St.Paul, MN475 viewsAll 35 of the M&StL 2-8-2's had 24"x30" cylinders, 59" drivers and operated with 185 lbs. of steam pressure which produced 46,000 lbs. of starting tractive force. The 15 built in 1921 later operated with 200 lbs. of boiler pressure which pushed tractive force up by 3,800 lbs. Undated shot at St. Paul, Minnesota by an unidentified photographer. Submitted by Edward J. Ozog.
CNW_094.jpg
M&StL M-1 617432 viewsNo. 617 was one five Mikado's built by Brooks in 1916 that were duplicates of the 15 built by Schenectady in 1915. The M-1 was one of the six of the 1915-1916 group purchased by the Algoma Central & Hudson Bay in 1946. Unknown place, date and photographer. Submitted by Edward J. Ozog.
CNW_095.jpg
M&StL M-1 620 Peoria, IL535 viewsNo. 620 has been upgraded with a boxpok main driver, a tubo exhaust steam injector, pilotdeck-mounted air pumps, skirting, etc. The booster engine on the trailing truck raised the starting tractive force to 61,300 lbs. She was one of 15 built by Brooks in 1921. Photographed by Artur B. Johnson in Peoria, Illinois on March 6, 1949 about nine months before retirement. Submitted by Edward J. Ozog
CNW_096.jpg
M&StL M-1 623435 viewsThe fifteen 2-8-2's built by Brooks in 1921 had cast traling trucks and a sand dome behind the bell. Their boiler pressure was raised to 200 lbs. making them more powerful than the similar 1915-1916 group of M-1's. Place, date and photographer unknown. Submitted by Edward J. Ozog.
CNW_097.jpg
M&StL M-1 625 Peoria, Il524 viewsNo. 625 has a Worthington feedwater heater with the hot water pump mounted on the pilot deck. Brooks built in 1921; scrapped 1950. Two of the fifteen built in 1921 were purchased by the Algoma Central & Hudson Bay in 1948. Shot at the Peoria, Illinois Quanset Hut enginehouse; unknown date and photographer. Submitted by Edward J. Ozog.
222 files on 19 page(s) 15