Welcome to the CNWHS Photo Gallery!

The C&NWHS invites you to post C&NW and related railroad photos. Like to add your photos?

Most viewed
No639 100_1220dpi.jpg
E 639 Central St. Evanston, IL3306 viewsNo 639 is southbound, slowing to stop at Central St with substantial mid-day local. Pulling 5 cars "backwards" there are 3 coaches, a combine and baggage car, displaying the CNW procedure of only turning the locomotive at the end of the run. I'm guessing it's a hot summer day, note the passenger in the second car with his head fully out, maybe to get a breath of fresh air in, not to mention the engineer in this 1953 photo. Photo taken by Richard A. Greene from the collection of Stuart Greene.
147X-1-28-66-Milw-TH.jpg
No. 147X Milwaukee, WI3301 viewsNo. 147X, with E7 5018B, has just arrived from Chicago and will terminate at the lakefront station in Milwaukee. Tom Hoffmann photo, 1-28-1966.
CNW3019.jpg
H-1 3019 Tama, IA3276 viewsThis photo of Class H-1 3019 was taken by Ernest Sevde in 1950. The train is eastbound through the narrows fromed by the Iowa river and the bluffs of the Sac and Fox settlement in Tama, Iowa. Price collection
Obs-Parlor-7201-Milw.jpg
Observation Parlor 7201 Milwaukee, WI3272 viewsThe C&NW owned two of the Pullman built Observation-Parlor-Buffet-Lounge cars. They were built in 1939 for the "400" and traveled between Chicago and Minneapolis. The cars were retired in 1964 and went to Mexico. Photo by Doug Jones. Submitted by J. H. Yanke
601-Chase.jpg
CMO E-3 601 Milwaukee, WI3264 viewsOmaha Class E-3 #601 is being serviced at the Chase Yard roundhouse in Milwaukee, WI. The Alco 4-6-2 was delivered to the Omaha Road in 1930. C&NW Historical Society Archives collection.
F-3-4065A-No-FDL-7-28-57.jpg
F3 4065A North Fond du Lac, WI3262 viewsF3 4065A was built in 1947 and had 1500 HP. The C&NW purchased 40 F3's from EMD. This photo was taken at North Fond du Lac by Russ Porter 7-28-57. The unit trailing is an Alco FB-2. Submitted by J. H. Yanke
Milw-Depot-1964.jpg
Depot Milwaukee, WI3261 viewsThe Milwaukee depot was built on the Lake Michigan shoreline in 1889. It was demolished in 1966 when the C&NW began using the new Milwaukee Road Station. In this scene, train #149 is ready to depart for Green Bay. Photo by Russ Porter, January, 1964. Submitted by J. H. Yanke
TC-400-1-Milw.jpg
No. 400 Last "Twin Cities 400" Milwaukee, WI3249 viewsThe Adams engine crew is relieved by the Milwaukee engine crew who will take the final Twin Cities 400 to Chicago. Bob Ferge photo, 7-23-1963 Bob Baker collection.
Business Car #402 Bertram, ia..jpg
Business Car 402 Bertram, Iowa3246 viewsCNW Business Car #402 is on the rear end of the #1385 steam special that ran over the Iowa Division from Clinton to Boone, Iowa and return in September of 1982. Photo at Bertram, Iowa by R J Williams
No.-401-Milw-6-21-53.jpg
No. 401 “Twin Cities 400” Milwaukee, WI3246 viewsNo. 401, the “Twin Cities 400” is westbound between St. Francis and Tower BA in Milwaukee, WI. With E8 5027B. Joe Barth photo, 6-21-1953. Submitted by J. H. Yanke
5012B-Chgo-5-56.jpg
No. 209 "Peninsula 400" Chicago, IL3232 viewsNo. 209, the Peninsula 400, has departed Chicago at 4:00 PM in May, 1956 and is passing over the Clinton Street interlocking plant on its way to Ishpeming, MI. Photo is from the collection of Joe Testagrose. Submitted by J. H. Yanke
C&NW #8816 Marshalltown, Ia..jpg
AC4400CW 8816 Marshalltown, Iowa3209 viewsA very clean and 8 month old C&NW 8816 sits alone in the dark outside the Marshalltown, Iowa diesel shop facilities on 7-25-95. Photo by R J Williams
2353 files on 197 page(s) 6